Why meat free Monday?
This year I’ve joined the meat free Monday movement. I just love love love dedicating my Mondays to be fully plant based. It makes me conscious about my eating and also gives me a wonderful little cleanse after the weekend. However, my biggest reason for being part of the meat free Monday (MFM) movement is because our over consumption of animal protein is causing harm to the planet in forms of deforestation and animal cruelty. Now, I’m not saying don’t eat chicken (because I TOTALLY do). I’d prefer to eat happy chickens, but I don’t have much control over that part. This is why I’m a fan of meat free Mondays because it doesn’t condemn us to NOT eat meat. It invites us to consume less of it.
Although I’d love to follow a completely plant based diet, I’ve had to listen to my body and it tells me that I do need a moderate amount of animal protein. This year a have consciously cut down on my animal consumption by incorporating more plant based recipes into my lifestyle. Let me tell you- I’m loving it (oh wait, I’ve already told you that).
If you’re interested to find out more about the Meat Free Monday movement look at these awesome sites:
· Paul, Mary and Stella McCartney has this really awesome campaign with loads of info: https://www.meatfreemondays.com/about/
Here’s one of my favorite go-to meat free Monday recipes. Brace yourselves- it’s incredible! Check out my YouTube video demonstration.
For the sauce
150 g cashew nuts
200 g butternut squash
2 tsp nutritional yeast
3 tsp gluten free soy sauce
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
For the pasta
½ cup Happy Earth People pasta
½ chopped onion
1 cup chopped mushrooms
2 chopped courgettes or spiraled
• Soak the cashews in a bowl of water for three to four hours.
• Place the whole butternut in the oven at 200 degrees for an hour. (I usually do this earlier in the day)
• Discard the water that the cashews have been soaking in, then tip them into a blender with the steamed squash and all the remaining sauce ingredients. Pour in 200ml of water and blitz everything together.
• Put the pasta in a pot of boiling water and cook according to the packet instructions.
• While they cook, boil the chopped onion, courgette and mushroom in a little water.
Once the peas and pasta are cooked, drain them, then mix them with the sauce and veggies.
As easy as that!